Cycle: Every 248-250 years Key Word: Transformation
- The unseen, the unknown, and all mysterious and powerful energies below the surface.
- Power, death and rebirth, the underworld, secrets, covert activities, the dark
- Deep psychological changes, intensity, extremes
- Release, regeneration, renovation, renewal
Out of Balance:
Plutonian energies can be destructive, extreme, obsessive, compulsive, power hungry, secretive, abusive and over-controlling.
The Plutonian energies of power, control and transformation are used productively and wisely. The ability to go through an intense time of endings and to be able to rise again in a new form. There is an ability to deal with the mysterious and the unknown and to successfully handle intense or “scary” situations.
Influence on Individuals:
Dramatic and intense life events/inner urges lead people to release their current life circumstances and descend into the unknown, where they will go through a transformative period that ultimately enables them to emerge a new and better person. It moves very slowly and lasts over many years, so we don’t always recognize what is happening until it is over, and even then, it may be quite sometime before we can begin to comprehend just how much we have been transformed.
The Sign Pluto is in:
Reveals the areas in which the transformation will occur.
Capricorn: 2008 – 2024
With Pluto in Capricorn, there will be a need to transform the areas ruled by Capricorn which are:
- the order of things, structures, rules, regulations
- Authority, governments, institutions
- Big business, large organizations
- Our concept of reality, tradition, old age
- Time, history
Pluto in Capricorn Throughout History: The last 2,500 Years
- Herodotus compiled a map of the known world and wrote “History”, an account of the Greco-Persian war. He will be known as the “father of history”.
- Statue of Zeus was completed (one of the seven wonders of the world), Temple of Poseidon built, rebuilding of the Acropolis began, The construction of the Parthenon in Athens began.
- Democritus proposed the existence of the atom.
- Han Dynasty begins. Will last for 400 years.
- The Rosetta Stone is created. Discovered by Napoleon’s army in 1799 and finally deciphered in 1822.
- London is founded by the Romans
- Beginning of the Early Christian Era. Apostle James becomes the first Christian martyr, Apostle Paul travels to Greece, Paul writes Letters to the Corinthians.
- Constantine I becomes emperor. In 313 he removes penalties for professing Christianity. His reign is a turning point for Christianity and he is known as the first Christian Roman emperor. He later convened the first council of Nicaea in 325, which is generally seen as the end of the Early Christian Era.
532-551 (Dark Ages)
- Byzantine leader Justinian begins an era of absolutism. His military commander, Belisarius conquers Rome.
- Disastrous earthquakes shake much of the world.
- Bubonic plaque (black death) moves from Egypt to the Byzantine-Roman world and on to British Isles.
- King Arthur killed
778-796 (Dark Ages)
- Catholic Church has Second Council of Nicaea. Orders the worship of icons.
- Moroccan governor rebels against the caliphate that rules Islam from Baghdad to Cordova. He sets up an empire that will last for more than 1000 years.
- Charlemagne becomes King of the Franks, invades Moorish Spain, and in 800 AD is crowned head of the western Roman Empire.
1024 – 1041
- 1033 was 1000 year anniversary of Christ’s death. Widespread panic. Many expected the end of the world.
- Mayan epidemic weakens their population. Begin a downward trend.
- China makes the world’s first paper money.
Pluto in Capricorn 1269 – 1287
- Kublai Khan begins the Mongol/Yuan Dynasty which will rule China for 100 years.
- 1271 – Marco Polo, age 17, begins his journey to the Far East with his father and uncle. He spends 24 years in Asia and goes into the service of Kublai Khan in 1274. He later wrote a book, “The Description of the World” or “The Travels of Marco Polo”. It brought the Far East to the West
Pluto in Capricorn 1516 – 1532
There were many major developments that transformed the structure of the world and the order of things.
- 1517 – Martin Luther began The Reformation. Christianity would be transformed.
- 1519-1522 – Magellan was the first to ever circumnavigate the earth.
- 1519 – Cortez went to Mexico which led to the downfall of the Aztecs.
- 1524 – Pizarro went to Peru and brought a similar fate to the Incas.
- 1520-32 - Nostradamus studies medicine and the mystical arts. Will publish Quatrains in 1555.
- 1512 – 1543 Copernicus postulated that the earth and the planets orbited the Sun, and that the Earth was not the center of the Universe. Fearing retribution from the Church, he did not allow his theory to be published until the end of his life. This concept marked the beginning of a scientific revolution.
Pluto in Capricorn 1762 -1778 This is the most recent time Pluto was in Capricorn.
- 1763: End of the French and Indian War – Britain, France and Spain divided power and land.
- 1763-75: Rebellion in the British Colonies in America heated up against the heavy handedness of the British Crown. Boston Tea Party 1773, First Continental Congress 1774.
- 1775- 1783, American Revolutionary War: The United States was born on July 4, 1776 with the Declaration of Independence. A new order and a new nation that would rise to ascendancy emerges, but at the time, that was far from obvious. We knew we were in upheaval, but the outcome was unknown. It was the Plutonian energy of “going for it”, no matter what – being willing to die so that a new country based on freedom, equality and democracy could be born.
- 1768-1779: Captain James Cook explored and mapped the South Pacific, New Zealand, Australia, Antarctic, Hawaii. He also mapped the west coast of North America from California all the way to the Bering Strait.
Some famous Capricorns and other cardinal signs who played significant roles during 1762-1778:
Benjamin Franklin – Capricorn; Betsy Ross – Capricorn; Alexander Hamilton – Capricorn;
Thomas Jefferson – Aries, John Hancock – Capricorn; John Paul Jones – Cancer;
Paul Revere – Capricorn; Samuel Adams – Libra; Benedict Arnold: Capricorn; General Cornwallis – Capricorn
Repeated transformational Themes
Certain themes seem to be repeated, though not necessarily each time
- Expansion of our concept of reality and the world around us through explorations and discoveries about the physical world and how it is put together. Also changes in our perspective on our place in the order of things. Explorations into previous unknown areas, conquests.
- Expansion or endings of empire and power, and the founding of long lasting empires or dynasties.
- A transformation of authority. One government/empire/leader is overthrown and replaced by a new one.
- Seems to coincide with the growth and development of Christianity since the 1st century.
Pluto in Capricorn -2008 – 2024
With Pluto in Capricorn the areas that will undergo transformation are: Structures, systems, rules, regulations, governments, institutions, business, reality, authority, tradition, old age, time, history. Capricorn is concerned with how things are organized, where they fit in and how they work. Capricorn is much more practical than philosophical……. We could also say it is a time when a new “boss” takes over. The organization of power and authority changes dramatically. There is very likely to be some sort of power play between or within world governments and powers. The way things are set up and operating is likely to be transformed. Look for major changes in the business and corporate world.
Leaders, governments, business, corporations will have to go through a deteriorating process as part of the transformation. That which is no longer viable will have to die so that a new system can be born. The economy will be challenged. The way things are set up in general will become unstable……… Structures may begin to show signs of collapse. Leaders, governments, business corporations greatly increase their power or be taken over.
- Our concept of what is possible may be transformed by new discoveries. The way things are set up and operating is likely to be radically transformed.
- We Citizens of Earth may revise our ideas of where we fit in the order of things in the Universe. Perhaps events or new discoveries will dramatically alter our current concept of reality.
- Since the United States was born during the last Pluto in Capricorn period, this will be a very intense time for the USA, and suggests that we will revisit who we are as a country. We are likely to transform our position and power in the world. There will be many challenges.
- Difference between this upcoming Pluto in Capricorn period and the previous: (1) Instant communication over the entire globe and, (2) with the discovery of Pluto in 1930, we are now consciously aware of this energy, which seems to give it more strength. When enough people all over the world are thinking and feeling the same thing at the same time, anything is possible. Mass consciousness can transform very quickly under such circumstances. Not only will our transformation happen more rapidly, but with most of our minds simultaneously on the same thing, it will also be much more powerful than ever before. We need to remember however, that as in the past, the changes will occur over a period of years, and the outcomes of the transformations we undergo may not be obvious while they are happening.
- The years from 2008 through 2015 will be especially dramatic because of additional planetary interactions between Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Pluto**. A series of planetary patterns over this eight year period are very strong and indicate our experience of transformative energies will be quite powerful.
- In 2020, a powerful new world cycle will begin to take shape. The choices we make in the meantime are extremely important. Although the years ahead will be very challenging, it is also a very exciting time in which we can truly make the world a better place.
Judy Joyce, September 2007